Leuven, Belgium, 23 September 2022 — – Dione 1024 has been announced today as the new member of the long-wave infrared (LWIR) SWaP core from Xenics.
Xenics is Europe’s leading developer and manufacturer of advanced infrared sensors, cameras and customized imaging solutions in the short-wave infrared (SWIR) and the LWIR realm.
Dione 1024 is an XGA (1024×768) LWIR camera core optimized to meet today’s increased demand for smaller size, lower weight, lower power and low cost (SWaP-C) with the highest performance. This is the good trade-off between high resolution and cost-effective solution for the safety and security market as well as industrial applications. Dione 1024 is the final release of the Dione family of uncooled LWIR solutions and makes the LWIR offer from Xenics a real global one with all standard resolutions: QVGA (320×240), VGA (640×480), XGA (1024×768) and SXGA (1280×1024).
Xenics in 2022: A complete LWIR offer
Thanks to this latest member of the Dione family, the LWIR offer from Xenics is now completed. Indeed, embedded systems that require SWaP-C product can be addressed with all the standard formats from QVGA to SXGA, while industrial needs can benefit with the stand-alone Ceres cameras series: Ceres V for standard vision cameras, Ceres T for high accuracy thermographic cameras.
Xenics chooses the family model
The now completed 12 µm pitch LWIR Xenics’ offer is based on a real family concept. Everything starts from the same basic bricks. The family is then divided into two main parts:
- Dione: The cores for embedded systems. This branch of the family is dedicated to embedded systems and shares similar control and command instructions and interfaces so that customers can design a solution and then scale up or down the resolution depending on the need.
- Ceres: these stand-alone cameras are dedicated to industrial needs and are proposed either for thermal vision (Ceres V) or for accurate thermography (Ceres T). Again, all Ceres shares the same control and command instruction and interface which help customers to adapt at best according to the real need.
Dione 1024 is the last member of this global 12 µm family and targets the important point where customer wants high-resolution but also a cost-effective solution. The SXGA version is available when highest resolution is requested, but XGA is the perfect trade-off between performance and cost.
Paul Ryckaert, CEO of Xenics explains: “It is our goal to provide efficient solution to our customers. With Dione 1024 LWIR core, we now fill the gap between very high performance and low cost. Thanks to this family concept, customer makes only one development and then can derive its solution on various resolution depending on the cost/performance trade-off requested by its applications.”
Dione 1024 offers high sensitivity (50 mK), is proposed without a shutter for every SWaP needs or with a shutter for rapid adaptation to the environment. Customers can choose between OEM (Dione 1024 OEM) or embedded in a housing with M34 or M45 optical interface (Dione 1024 CAM).
The SAMTEC ST5 connector is supporting the 16 bit digital output (compatible with CameraLink™ protocol), the command and control (including triggering capabilities) and the power supply. Thanks to the similarities with the previous Dione family members and a GenICam compliant SDK, Dione 1024 integration in systems is straightforward.
Dione 1024 is the perfect trade-off between high-resolution and cost effective uncooled LWIR solution:
- for cost optimized hand-held thermal imagers (HHTI),
- for 360° situation awareness systems where, high resolution is needed for DRI performances,
- for drone accurate observation where customers will benefit from ultra-light camera and high resolution,
- for cost optimized industrial application where customer will benefit from its high sensitivity and its 1024×768 resolution giving a large horizontal field of view.
Xenics, part of Exosens, is a pioneer of infrared technology with a proven track record of more than twenty years. Xenics designs, manufactures and markets infrared imagers, cores and cameras of best-in-class image quality to support machine vision, scientific & advanced research, transportation, process monitoring, safety & security and medical applications. Xenics offers a complete portfolio of products for the vSWIR, SWIR and LWIR ranges. Mastering all critical steps of the manufacturing process with advanced production facilities and in-house know-how on detectors, systems and software development Xenics delivers state-of-the-art solutions and optimized custom designs. Xenics ensures its commitment of doing good to the world by developing solutions for enhancing quality of life and sustainability. As a European vendor with a worldwide sales and service network, Xenics supports its customers with simplified export procedures.